I have big knitting plans for this fall…which I will get into next week when my yarn hopefully arrives. Until then, I am in a sea of purple. Last Spring I saw Antrorse and wanted to knit it badly. So I did! But it didn’t turn out the way I had anticipated. I finished it in March and never had the motivation to sew buttons on it or weave in the ends. By then it was too hot to wear and I just didn’t feel all that great about it. I loved the yarn, loved the pattern, but something wasn’t right. I used Cascade Eco Wool and it is the most glorious wool. It’s soft and the range of colors are beautiful. It is pretty inexpensive and it comes in huge skeins that are 478 yards. I know I got good bang for my buck when the ball is almost bigger than my head. Granted, I have a small head, but still! It only took me 1.5 skeins to knit it. I bought the color Rainier Heather. It’s a dusky purple with other colors subtly blended in. It is a great color, I have been gravitating toward purples in all parts of my wardrobe lately. However, I think Antrorse would be better suited to a light color. The chevrons don’t show up well with the dark color. That part of the sweater I couldn’t change, but the other parts that bothered me I could! Yet another reason why knitting is a superior craft.
I wish I had taken pictures of it before so that there are reference points, but oh well. When I first finished it, the bottom two inches of garter stitch poofed out in kind of a bubbly way that was not at all flattering. I figure out that it was because my gauge is different in the round compared to flat. I decided to rip back the hem and knit it flat and then seam the last two inches. I did that and still was sort of indifferent. The pattern indicates that the sweater should be tunic length-ish. I let it sit for a few months and then tried it on during a skype session with my Mom. I was about to frog it and make something else when she suggested to rip out a few inches and make it shorter. DUH! What a genius. I tried it on with the hem rolled up and it looked much more flattering. This past week I ripped out about 4 or 5 inches and re-knit the hem. The whole thing lost about 2-3 inches in length and it makes all the difference. I sewed some of my great grandmother’s buttons on it and ta-da!
The bottom still looks a little wonky but once I give it a bath that kinked up yarn that got re-knit should smooth out. I hope. I knit the 34 inch size and it fits well. There isn’t any waist shaping, so it is more of a casual pullover which I like. I still wish I had knit it in a lighter color but it turned out to be a good looking sweater after all.
Since I had so much yarn left over, I have had other sweaters running through my brain for months. I originally though I would make a striped pullover with the leftovers and some olive green yarn a co-worker gave me but I decided I will save the green for something else. I have wanted to make Camilla for a long time, and looks like I will have just enough yarn. I started it last night and it is going really quickly. I am knitting the 33 inch size, which is smaller than I would usually make but it looks like the pattern has some ease written into it. I am 2.5 repeats in and it is cruising. The bulky yarn helps. If I can keep up the pace I might have a sweater next week!